Sunday, April 15, 2012

CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA


I have my cousin Angie to thank for turning me on to chicken tikka masala a long time ago at Haveli in New York City… Since then, it’s been a love affair with my favorite Indian dish ­– savory chicken tikka masala. I have tasted chicken tikka masala at several Indian restaurants in search of the perfect recipe. Although most versions of masala are creamy and smooth, I gave my recipe a chunkier, hearty sauce rich with fresh vegetables. Simmered to perfection, the mouth-watering aroma of traditional Indian spices fills my kitchen – leaving me wanting to dig in!

In a Large Pot…
4 - Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 - Medium Onion, chopped fine
4 - Garlic Cloves, crushed
1/2 - Jalapeño Pepper, Chopped fine
Cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until brown.

Then Add…
1-½ Lbs. - Fresh Chicken, cut into 1” cubes
Set on low heat and let chicken cook for about 15 minutes. I use boneless thigh, but feel free to use a cut of your choice.

Then Add Spices…
1 - Teaspoon of Cumin Seeds, Ground
2 - Teaspoon of Garam Masala
1 - Teaspoon of Ginger Salt
1/2 - Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
1/2 - Teaspoon of Sea Salt
1/2  - Teaspoon of Curry Powder
1 - Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
3 - Teaspoons of Fresh Ginger, Grated

Mix in a separate bowl…
1 - Can of Organic Tomatoes, Mash up with hand-masher.
6 Oz. - Plain Greek Yogurt
1/4 - Cup of Light Cream
Add to the pot and stir well to combine.

Finish with…
1/4 - Cup of Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
Mix well and let simmer for about half-hour to let the flavorful spices permeate.

Serve over Basmati Rice.


Enjoy!

Lulu B’s Kitchen
© 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment